[By Sharon Oseivhi]
Being a PR professional is not all it is cracked up to be. There are people who perceive PR folks as liars who just deceive the public and trick them into believing the words we say. We are just communicators who are convening the key messages of our clients through the appropriate channels. Here are the do’s and don’ts of good public relations.
- Don’t be afraid to be creative. A good PR person is able is to connect their client’s products, vision, idea and key messages to the audience they want to reach.
- Always be aware. In PR, you need to stay current with what is going on in the news, on social media and in the world in relation to your client’s industry.
- Be clear. A good PR person can communicate all ideas across various channels of media.
- Never spam. Any PR person knows never to send mass e-mails to various reporters with impersonal information, lack of content or understanding.
- Research, Research, Research. A good PR person needs to know their target audience for a pitch. This can save you a lot of embarrassment and misunderstandings.
Never waste a reporter’s time. When reporters are on strict deadlines, timing is key. It is up to us as PR professionals to make sure the reporter gets what is needed, when it’s needed.
(Photo by Ramdlon via Pixabay)